Spousal Work Permit

Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?

Canadian government allows your spouse or common-law partner to work in most of the cases. They would need to apply for work permit to work in Canada. Open work permit is one of the way they can stay and work in Canada until the validity of the work permit.

The other way to work is applying for LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). LMIA permits and employer to hire a professional with specific skill for a particular job.  

What is an open work permit?

Open work permit is a kind of work permit that is not job-specific. Since it is not job-specific, you will not need the following when you apply for your work permit:

  • a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada,
  • or proof that an employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee.

To know more or if you have any doubts, book and appointment with us and our regulated consultant would be happy to assist you.

Please refer to CIC website for updated information and to know more about spousal work permit

error: Alert: Content is protected !!